PSC golf from The Billabong Golf BarMonday, August 11, Crystal Bay – StablefordWith just a couple of groups playing at Crystal Bay, due to players thinking holiday rates and the course being full, we had a four and a half hour round, which isn’t too bad. The locker rooms are being renovated here and are looking great but I think some money spent on the greens would be better placed. This course is a favourite within this group as some of the members have had their best games here but the greens are practically impossible to putt on.John Aylott, Mick Thomas & Owen Walkley. Rosco Langoulant was the winner on the day with a great 38 points ahead of Owen Walkley in second with 37. Third place went to Craig Wheeler with 36 points on a count back over Mal Farquharson, playing his best round for a long time.Wednesday, August 13, Green Valley – StablefordGreen valley today and the course as usual was in grand condition, although the greens had some quirky little breaks and if you were above the hole it was quite tricky to get the ball close and make it stop.We had a John Daly lookalike out with us and he actually walked the course, his first time walking in a long, long time but the bet back at the bar was that if he lost 16 kilos in the next 8 weeks Steve will give him a considerable amount of money for his new wardrobe.Brian Maddox & John PlayerWe didn’t have a big field but what we had certainly enjoyed themselves. The scores were very consistent with 35 points being enough for third and fourth places, Jim Grieve taking the higher rung on the ladder on count back over John Aylott. Mick Thomas came in second with a fine 36 points, but with a 4 for four points on the 18th hole Gus George took the top spot with 37.There was only one ‘2’ today, coming from Sel Wegner on the 16th and we all heard the shout from the green!Friday, August 15, Plutaluang – StablefordPlaying the Navy East and South we found the course in good condition but everyone was commenting on how low the lake is. The water is so low that you can walk in and hit a golf ball from about 20 yards from where it would normally be under water. In actual fact one of our group played his second shot from there, after much cajoling taking off his shoes and socks and proceeding to play bare foot, albeit up to his ankles in mud. Tiger Woods couldn’t have done better.In third place today was Brian Maddox with a fine 34 points, being beaten on a count back by Brett Pennington. First place went to John Player with a whopping 40 points, now that is a score on this course without doubt. There was only one ‘2’, coming from Tony Baker from about 25 yards off the green, a really great chip and it never looked like missing.Note: The Billabong is situated just off Siam Country Club Road looking straight down Lake Mabprachan. Give Bob a call on 082 204 3411 if you are looking for a game.
Russian authorities said Monday they would improve Luzhniki stadium before next year’s World Cup after fans at the Russia v Argentina friendly complained it took two hours to walk to the nearest metro station after jams at exits. The number of shuttles from the stadium to the station would be increased in the near future, he said. Russia’s deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko, who is also president of the country’s football federation, said the match had been a key test for the World Cup organisers and lessons would be learned. The bottlenecks were caused by ongoing works at the station, said Vladimir Chernikov, the head of Moscow’s security department, in comments carried by the Interfax news agency. AFP Spectators said that after the final whistle on Saturday they were forced to stay in the stands for 30 minutes in the stadium that will host next year’s final. “We need to analyse all the organisational aspects of Saturday’s match and make the necessary corrections to ensure full comfort and security for football fans in the future.” CET The newly renovated 81,000-seater stadium is also set to host the opening match of the World Cup. 13/11/2017 Upd. at 13:08 “Security of the spectators was adequately managed,” Chernikov said. Two-time World Cup winners Argentina beat Russia 1-0 in Saturday’s friendly thanks to a Sergio Aguero header.
By RUSSELL BENNETT A CONVERSATION with former Collingwood premiership skipper Nick Maxwell has helped to spark Pakenham teenager Jai Rout…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
With three months to go before the 7th Games in Kimbe, West New Britain Province, team manager Boudi Meapo is not leaving planning for later, already naming an 18-man team.The team consists of three officials, 12 players and three shadow players.Meapo said the 15-man team named is the final team and no changes will be made during the course of the three-month preparations to the Games.“If there are injuries to the first 12 then I have three shadow players to fill in the gap.The main thing is that we want ample time to prepare our players in the lead up before the PNG Games,” said Meapo.He added the selection is a mixture of upcoming and seniors players from the Capital Rugby Union competition. A one off trial with the Aroma Coast 7s team is in the pipeline.Meapo said the team will be going through testing every month on strength and ball drills.Team NCD men’s 7s: Smith Sisive, Daniel Opa, Ina Grant, Wally Moere, Sean Dermba, Ambos Helore, Ashley Chan (Turagus), Jayjay Garrison, Trevor Jessie, Yuni Patrick, Kenneth Vagi, Aallna Kapnis, Oswald Gela, Getsi Raka (CRU) and Darron Ling (Turagus).Team officials: Boudi Meapo – team manager, George Hoki, Joe Kautu – team coach, and Ian Yaro – trainer.
Where did they go? Millions left Wuhan before quarantine Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. PH among economies most vulnerable to virus Mbala banners UAAP Season 79 top performers Shanghai officials reveal novel coronavirus transmission modes Senators to proceed with review of VFA View comments EDITORS’ PICK Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Chinese-manned vessel unsettles Bohol town We are young Smart hosts first 5G-powered esports exhibition match in PH MOST READ Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan PLAY LIST 01:31Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan01:33WHO: ‘Global stocks of masks and respirators are now insufficient’01:01WHO: now 31,211 virus cases in China 102:02Vitamin C prevents but doesn’t cure diseases like coronavirus—medic03:07’HINDI PANG-SPORTS LANG!’03:03SILIP SA INTEL FUND As fate of VFA hangs, PH and US forces take to the skies for exercise Smart’s Siklab Saya: A multi-city approach to esports NU Lady Bulldogs are the UAAP champions anew. Photo by Bong LozadaNational University completed its unblemished run to a third straight title, embarrassing De La Salle, 96-72, to sweep the championship round of the UAAP Season 79 women’s basketball tournament Wednesday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.The Lady Bulldogs are undefeated for three straight seasons, racking up an impressive 48 straight victories.ADVERTISEMENT Mainland China virus cases exceed 40,000; deaths rise to 908 “What makes this sweet is we’re 48-0 and we got the three-peat,” said Lady Bulldogs head coach Pat Aquino who is also the commander of Perlas Pilipinas. “I hope we can do that again, I’m just happy we got the third championship for NU.”Finals MVP Gemma Miranda led the Lady Bulldogs with 25 points and 13 rebounds while fellow outgoing senior Afril Bernardino added 18.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra teammates show love for SlaughterSPORTSWe are youngSPORTSFreddie Roach: Manny Pacquiao is my Muhammad AliJack Animam owned the paint for NU as she finished with 16 points and 18 rebounds.Snow Penaranda recorded a 13-point, 11-rebound double-double for the Lady Green Archers.
A Christians around the world, inclusive of Christians in Guyana, will today be observing Good Friday. Christians on this day commemorate the crucifixion of Jesus Christ at Calvary by observing a really quiet and solemn celebration as they reflect on his suffering and death on the Cross. It is a commemoration to remind Christians that innocent Jesus suffered brutally at the hands of the worldly authorities.In Guyana, we live in a multireligious, multi-ethnic society in which, to a great extent, we co-exist peacefully, unlike many other countries in the world with a similar culture. For many countries, the conflict over religious co-existence has been unsolved for years and has led to much violence and suffering for the peoples of those nations.For us here in Guyana, we experienced a disturbing event a few weeks ago when a pastor from Faithful Word Baptist Church (FWBC) went into several public schools purporting to be preaching the Word of God, but rather unleashed a venomous attack on Hinduism beliefs.According to the Southern Poverty Law Center website, the FWBC, which is based in Arizona, United States, is classified as a fundamentalist group with a history of hate speech that has seen it being banned from entry in at least three different countries.The American hate speech watchdog group has listed the church as a hate group. Having been listed as a hate group that spreads hate speech, it is disappointing that such a group made its way into our public school system – where our children in this multireligious society converge – without the knowledge of the Education Ministry and more so the Government. According to media reports, it was after a very vigilant member of society wrote a letter to the editor in the local press that this issue was brought to the fore.The Education Ministry itself has admitted that it had no previous knowledge of the school visits by FWBC, nor did it in any way facilitate the visits. It also stated that the FWBC took advantage of a lack of familiarity with regard “to documented external visitor policy and the misplaced goodwill of administrative staff on what they believed to be an innocuous intervention, as well as a general ignorance of the church’s reputation”. To its credit, permission was granted via the individual school administrations without knowledge of the Education Ministry.In this instance, it appears that it was a one-off event in three schools, but it was a dangerous one that is downright alarming. Religious conflict as we have witnessed in other parts of the world has brought nations to their knees.It is a conflict that will remain as a burning issue unfortunately for many more years to come. Here in Guyana, religious leaders – whether Christian, Hindu, Muslim – teach about the enormous positive role religion has played in the lives of many. Guyanese society as a whole celebrates each other’s religious activities. This is evident at Christmas, Phagwah, Easter, Youman Nabi, Diwali and Eid.As we observe the Easter celebrations with the Christian community, let us as a nation be ever vigilant of those who seek to destroy the fabric of our multicultural, multi-ethnic, multireligious society.Happy Easter to all our readers!
A short time later, in the vicinity of 108th Avenue and 94th Street an area was blocked off while members of a K Division Emergency Response Team arrested a male after calling him out of a residence. The RCMP entered the residence as part of executing a judicially authorized search warrant in relation to the arrest made earlier in the evening. According to the Grande Prairie Herald Tribune, some of the guns found came from Corlanes Sporting Goods in Dawson after a robbery last week.- Advertisement – Two males were arrested and a number of firearms that are believed to be stolen were seized from the vehicle.
More than 200 people turned up for the meeting.Around 200 parents, teachers and members of the community have attended a public meeting in Carndonagh to voice their concerns about severe cuts to small schools and the growing threat of forced amalgamations.The meeting, organised by local TD and Fianna Fáil Spokesperson on Education Charlie McConalogue, took place at Túl Na Rí last night.Father John Joe Duffy and Reverend John Deane, who have both campaigned against cuts to small and minority faith schools in Donegal, also spoke at the meeting. Deputy McConalogue told the meeting that that as a result of cuts introduced by the Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn, schools with 1,2,3 and 4 teachers are being subjected to phased increases in their Pupil Teacher Ratio (PTR) over a two year period. This means that all schools with 86 pupils will have less staff, bigger classes and less funding.“Many of our local schools have been crippled by cuts to resources. The abolition of the Summer Works Scheme and the Minor Works Grant over the past two years has made a bad situation worse. On top of that, schools with less than 86 pupils are facing additional cuts to resources as Minister Quinn targets their Pupil Teacher Ratio ,” said Deputy McConalogue.“It is very clear to me that the Government’s real aim here is to force some of our local schools to amalgamate. It means that some communities here in Inishowen and across Co Donegal will ultimately lose their local school. This is completely unacceptable. It’s a highly damaging and discriminatory policy by a Dublin based Minister who has no clue of the importance of the local school to a community,” the Inishowen based Deputy said.Teachers and parents also expressed their anger at the cuts to funding that have left many local schools in serious debt. They said that the loss of the Minor Works Grant and Summer Works Scheme over a two year period left a major hole in school finances and it was being left up to parents to plug the gap and raise much needed funds. “The Government’s lack of commitment to supporting local schools is appalling. We are only talking about the basic funds required to keep a school open. Although the Minister has reinstated the Minor Works and Summer Works grants this year, this is only on a once-off basis and the funding remains extremely low. We need a commitment from him that these two vital grants will be reinstated permanently,” said Deputy McConalogue.“We also need clarity from the Minister about the future of our local schools. The very existence of minority faith schools in Co Donegal is under threat due to Minister Quinn’s cuts. And all Donegal schools with less than 50 pupils could face closure. I am urging Minister Quinn to reverse his targeted cuts to the Pupil Teacher Ratio in smaller schools, to publish the Value for Money Review, and to come clean on his plans in relation to our small schools,” the local Deputy said. 200 ATTEND MEETING TO DISCUSS CUTS TO SMALL DONEGAL SCHOOLS was last modified: December 10th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DEPUTY CHARLIE MCCONLAOGUEInishowenschool cuts
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe Christmas Truce of 1914 proved that peace is possibleEkong had pleaded guilty in July to grand theft and insurance fraud. A Los Angeles Superior Court judge placed her on five years’ probation and ordered her to perform 240 hours of community service. She also was sentenced to 90 days in jail, for which she received credit for time already served. Dr. Enobong Ekong, 64, was sentenced in August 2003 to 18 months’ probation, told to perform 100 hours of community service and ordered to pay nearly $28,000 in restitution to the insurance company. Prosecutors said the case has devastated the couple. They sold their house and the insurance company collected money from that sale. email@example.com PALMDALE – The wife of a Lancaster cardiologist has been ordered to pay more than $29,000 in restitution for fraudulently telling an insurance company that intruders caused $570,000 damage at their home overlooking Lake Palmdale. The insurance firm already has recovered about $400,000 but is owed $29,416 in interest. “The judge has ordered interest be paid,” Deputy District Attorney David Berger said after the judge’s ruling Friday. “She has to be financially evaluated to see her about her ability to pay.” Authorities said Ruth Ekong smashed antiques and other property in June 2000 after finding out that her husband had had an affair. (661) 267-5744160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’“Some of the drop is sales is due to seasonal forces, but there is no doubt that the local market is struggling to find the right balance between prices, inventory and sales,” said Peggy Mueller, president of the association’s Santa Clarita Division. “Investors are out of the market and real buyers, families who intend to live in a home for a period of time, are keeping the market going as they discover interest rates that dropped recently, properly priced properties and the largest selection of homes listed for sales in many years.” A total of 2,405 homes were listed by the end of October, a 99percent increase from a year ago when limited inventory drove up prices. SANTA CLARITA – October home sales in Santa Clarita fell to half what they were when the market peaked last year, according to a monthly report issued today by a realty trade group. And the median price of a single-family home dropped $68,000 since the $643,000 record set in April, according to the Southland Regional Association of Realtors. Condo sales fell about 30percent, along with the median price, which dropped from a January high of $397,000 to $370,000. Still, Realtors view the overall decline as a normal part of the broader market cycle.